|ERIK R. GROVES
Practice Areas: Corporate and Business Law, Labor & Employment, Contracts, Litigation, Nonprofit Law, Election Law, and Public Policy
Telephone: (907) 277-1604
Fax: (907) 276-2493
Erik Groves is licensed in Alaska and Colorado. His practice areas include labor and employment law, corporate law, business law, civil litigation, nonprofit law, and election law. He has represented numerous companies, nonprofits, associations, individuals, elected officials, and political candidates.
Mr. Groves joined Kemppel, Huffman and Ellis, P.C. in 2019. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Groves was General Counsel for Jennmar Services, a nationwide provider of skilled labor and services to the mining and oil/gas industries. Mr. Groves previously served as the Executive Vice President of TK Mining Services. He was also the founder and co-owner of Azbell & Groves LLC, a boutique firm in Colorado that specialized in employment and labor litigation, political consulting, election law litigation, and general business counsel. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Groves worked for nearly a decade doing software validation and support for the telecom industry.
NOTABLE LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- Achieved a jury verdict and payout of more than $1M for a client in a pregnancy discrimination case.
- Successfully guided a large mining contractor through Chapter 11 reorganization and section 363 sale. The 363 sale allowed creditors to recover 92% of validated claims.
- Prosecuted the largest candidate campaign finance violation in Colorado history in 2010.
- Led and advised a Colorado charter school in obtaining an Aaa3 bond rating (highest ever for a charter school in Colorado at the time) and receiving $5.7M in new construction bonds.
- Served as primary legal and strategy advisor for the first two successful recalls of a legislator in Colorado, including the recall of the Colorado Senate President.
- As a lobbyist, successfully advocated the Colorado Legislature to pass bills involving taxi cab deregulation, auto insurance reform, and felony arrest DNA testing.
AWARDS, CERTIFICATIONS and RECOGNITIONS
- Selected to the 2015 & 2016 Colorado SuperLawyers Rising Stars list for Civil Litigation Defense
- Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell Scholarship Recipient - Colorado Mesa University
- Chancellor's Scholarship Recipient University of Denver School of Law
- President's Service Award - Colorado Chiropractic Ass'n (2008)
- LEED AP - Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (2008)
- 5000-23 Experienced Miner (Underground and Surface for both Coal and Metal/Non-Metal)
Mr. Groves received his Bachelors of Arts from Colorado Mesa University in 2005, where he was valedictorian of his class. He received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2008. He was admitted to practice in Colorado in 2008 and in Alaska in 2017.